If you have lost some, or even all, of your natural teeth, dental implants could be the answer for you.
What are dental implants?
A dental implant is a very small metal screw that is fixed directly into the jaw bone in the space where a tooth is missing. This screw can then be used to secure crowns, bridges and dentures in place. Over time the bone around the screw will actually mesh with the metal, adding even more strength and stability and making it a natural part of your jaw. At our practice, dental implants in Cheltenham start with a consultation, where we will look at your jawbone density and oral health to access your suitability for implants.
Advantages of dental implants
If you are thinking of getting dental implants in Cheltenham, you will need to know the advantages before you make such a big decision:
- replacement teeth are secure and indiscernible, giving you confidence in your smile and improving your self-confidence
- by replacing a missing tooth, you are preventing neighbouring teeth from tilting or shifting
- you will be able to eat, bite and chew your food normally
- you will no longer need to suffer the discomfort of a hard piece of food digging into your gum
- dental implants help prevent bone loss in the jaw, which can occur after losing your natural teeth.
Dental implants can be life-changing
Even if you’ve only lost one single tooth as an adult, the effect can be quite stressful and devastating. People feel self-conscious if the gap is visible, and it can make eating certain foods uncomfortable and awkward. A dental implant can replace that lost tooth in a way that both looks and feels natural.
If you have lost several teeth, you are at risk of your face taking on a sunken appearance as the jawbone recedes without your teeth to keep it whole. Dental implants will stop this from happening, plus you won’t have to suffer the indignity of avoiding certain foods or having to deal with a bridge or dentures.
Here at Cheltenham Dental Spa, we will be more than happy to talk you through the advantages and process of dental implants in our Cheltenham practice.